VE Day - 75th Anniversary Celebrations 8th - 10th May 2020
NB Full details below are also available on a full size poster, which you can view, download, print and share here.
Call for community interest
This year, Friday the 8th May - 10th May will be an international celebration of peace commemorating the 75th anniversary of the Victory in Europe - VE Day celebrations.
The 8th May 1945 was the day peace emerged after nearly six years of war, so the 75th anniversary represents an important milestone in our history.
To reflect on the enormous sacrifice, courage and determination of people from all walks of life who saw us through this period in history, a number of national events are planned and include:
Friday 8th May
- 3pm - Battles O'er & VE 75 Years. 3pm is the time Winston Churchill officially announced the end of WW2. Pipers from around the world will open VE Day 75 by playing Battle's O'er and VE 75 Years.
- 3pm - The Nations Toast to the Heroes of WW2. Pubs will encourage customers to raise a glass.
- 6.55pm - A Cry for Peace Around the World. Town Criers will be undertaking A Cry for Peace Around the World.
- 7pm - Ringing out for Peace.
- 7pm onwards - Parties and celebrations.
Saturday 9th May - Parties and celebrations.
Sunday 10th May
10.30am - Church Services of Celebration and Commemoration including the Tribute to the Millions and the Last Post.
Poynton Town Council are encouraging local businesses, community groups, schools, organisations and individuals to think about how they can contribute to these commemorations. It’s a chance to bring communities together in common friendship, reinforcing bonds and the importance of peace on the occasion of this important anniversary. This might involve recreating one of the national events detailed above locally, or you may want to consider the following:
- make your own bunting and decorate a shop frontage or your home
- dress up in 1940’s clothes at one of your group meetings
- organise a relevant event or talk
- throw a community afternoon tea party or organise a bake sale for a veteran’s charity
- lead a commemorative walk
- take part in a war-time themed picnic
- deliver a performance, play or a dance
- as a pub or restaurant owner, take part in the Nation’s Toast
- display memorabilia or organise an art exhibition
Poynton Town Council will host a community planning meeting and collate a programme of events to promote the main activities in the town which encourage community involvement.
If you are interested in attending Poynton’s VE 75 planning meeting to bring ideas about what you are planning to do, please contact the Civic Hall on 01625 872238 or firstname.lastname@example.org to register your interest.
To help with your idea, Cheshire East Council have a community grant scheme for which your event might be eligible for funding. For more info click here.